I was really hoping my Valentine’s Day quilt would be finished by now. However, I seem to have caught something. I’m itching to quilt, but I must rest. I did make some progress. Here’s a sneak peak.
I decided to quilt it all free motion. Lots of little hearts in the diamond and bubbles in sashing. Next time I post, it will be a finished product, I hope.
I was looking at “Valentine’s Day” quilts on Pinterest, hoping for some inspiration. When none struck my fancy, I switched my search for “modern quilts”. My eyes caught a chevron quilt with blues and greens. I thought, “Hey, that kind of looks like hearts.”
I had a hard time lining up the diamonds because of the strip in the middle. I couldn’t line up to a point or seam. Plus, I cut some of the white strips 1/4″ shorter. That didn’t help, either. After much sewing and ripping, here it is. In hind sight, I should have squared each diamond after sewing on the white strip. I sometimes get excited about a project and rush too much. It still needs top and bottom borders. I’ll post a pic once I finish quilting.
I just got back from my first retreat. I was lucky enough to be invited to go with a small group of ladies to Lincoln City, OR. The house we rented was right on the beach. The beautiful scenery sure inspired our creativity. I always thought that at these retreats you would end up spending more time chatting than sewing. Boy, was I wrong. I’d never sewn so much in one sitting. It was nice not to have to worry about chores or my hubby and dog (though I missed them). We were laughing, sewing, eating Cheetos and sewing some more late into the night. I had the best time.
So, what were my projects? Valentine’s Day quilt and improvisational quilt from a workshop I took through Portland Modern Quilt Guild called Color Play by Jessica Darling. I’ll talk about them in my future posts.
Thank you for checking out my site. I’m a passionate longarm quilter in the Portland OR area. When I’m not quilting for my customer, I make quilts, so I can use my longarm machine.
Here are some of my recent projects. I made this first one because: 1. I wanted a portable project for when I’m traveling and 2. I wanted to do vertical line stitching.
I made the next one, so I can try McTavishing. I practiced a lot by doodling on paper before I actually started stitching. It worked pretty well. If you don’t know what McTavishing is, it is a free-motion, background filler with long swooping lines and curves. It can be made very densely to pack down the background. I think it’s more interesting than just echoing around the applique.